Friday, July 22, 2011

SKETCHES FOR PAINTINGS

These are a few details of tiles I am currently painting for the New Normal show.
I've got 12 days until this show hangs and it's starting to get really exciting - a lot of work thinking out coming of age in a recession and assessing your life's expectations. 



In a similar vein, I've been listening to the Song of Ice and Fire, by George R.R. Martin, while I paint all of these mirror tiles. 
It's cathartic to take in a harsh coming of age story right now.  The protagonists grow up not in a whimsical or sugarcoated way, but through blood and bitterness and pulling out inner strength.  
It makes it a bit hard to reread so many books that meant so much to me as a kid like those by Roald Dahl and Madeleine L'Engle.  Even though their books were and are so powerful, they are more hopeful than feels reasonable to be these days. 
On that note, I probably shouldn't have kids.

No comments: